Today I embark on a new habit: my newly designed morning routine. In the upcoming months I will work toward engraining this into my daily schedule. I've had a number of routines over the past year, but believe I have finally landed on my ideal routine.
The reason for a solidified morning routine is two-fold: It will instill a sense of structure to my days & it ensures that I am focusing on my goals and accomplishing what I set out to do each day.
Let's get into it!
- Wake at 4:30 a.m. Waking up this early seems a bit extreme but the rewards are pretty great. It is a very peaceful and calm time of day. No footsteps coming from the resident's apartment above me, no dogs barking outside, just quiet and darkness. This also allows for the viewing of the sunrise, which is always something pretty special if you stop to soak it in.
- Breath. I take 4 large breaths in the morning. This is a simple, albeit, random thing to put in my morning routine, but it does serve a purpose. Taking large abdominal breaths in the morning helps rid your body of carbon monoxide and gives your organs a burst of oxygen. Trust me, you'll feel much better if you start doing this.
- Drink water. I drink 16oz of water almost immediately after I wake up (often with some lemon). This fires up your metabolism, hydrates you (your body hasn't had liquid for 8 or so hours), helps your body flush out toxins, and may help with that hunger feeling of yours.
- Take Pablo for a walk. Walking Pablo this early is great! We have the neighborhood all to ourselves. In the summer, we catch the sunrise, in the winter, we'll embrace the darkness.
- Make Coffee. That's pretty self-explanatory. Everyone needs coffee, amirite!?
- Read / Write / Edit. I am setting aside an hour each morning to catch up on reading, writing (which I am doing now), and editing photos or videos. This will help thwart that late night stimulus before bed. I can now rest easy that an article or edit is just on the other side of a good nights rest.
- Exercise or meditate. Good early morning behaviors tend to lead to better decisions throughout the day. If I've exercised or meditated in the morning, I'm less likely to eat poorly or waste the day lying in bed. At least, that's how it works for me.
- Shower. Er'body gotta keep themselves clean. I normally utilize hydrotherapy during my shower. What is hydrotherapy you ask? Well, I constantly switch between warm water and cold water. I'll spend 2 minutes in warm, then 2 in freezing cold. I cycle through this 3 times. When the body is exposed to cold water, the flow of circulation goes inward (toward your organs), when the water is warm, the flow of circulation goes outward (toward your skin). This is a simple way to increase the rate of detoxification and move those nutrients around in your body. P.s. You'll hate it at first, but you'll grow to love it.
- Get Dressed / Say bye to Pabs / Leave for work. Once the shower is over, I simply put on my outfit, toss some kisses Pablo's way, and start my long and arduous 7min commute to work (note the sarcasm).
So there you have it. My brand-spankin' new morning routine. What do you think? What's your morning routine?