The chair posture is the easiest meditation posture. Most apps you’ll find, like headspace or calm, will start you off in this position. This is the posture that I used when I first started meditating as I often meditated at work where sitting on the ground would have been a bit weird.
- Find a hard / sturdy chair. Sofa cushion like chairs can be used, but they are not ideal. I would use a wooden dining room chair, or harder desk chair.
- Sit away from the back of the chair with a straight back.
- Your butt should be slightly higher than your knees. (You can add a small cushion under your butt or adjust the height of the chair).
- Place feet flat on the floor.
- Rest your hands gently on your knees or thighs.
- Head should be balanced with the chin slightly tucked in.
- Do not lean back on the chair.
- Do not use a chair that you ‘sink in to.’ Make sure your knees are slightly below your butt.